Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ms. Koos - 8th Grade Math Teacher!

Yesterday was my first day of teaching! Aside from a few minor mishaps, the kids were relatively well behaved. I think I was moving through the material at a much quicker rate than they were expecting, which cut down on a lot of behavior issues. Of course, when I gave my assessment at the end it showed that maybe I went a little too fast for them, because they were only at 20% mastery of our skill, which was simplifying square roots using the Greatest Perfect Square Factor. However, I assured them that we would continue to review this topic the next day during all of our lessons.

Apparently, they needed a day to let the lesson simmer, because today as we were working on the division of square roots and whole numbers, they were all able to at least start to simplify their expressions and most of the students got it right! However, in the process of our lesson today, I realized that our students didn't really know what square roots were. This is basic math they should have learned a few years ago, so I took a step back for 10 minute and did a mini-square roots lesson, before I had to attempt to finish my lesson for the day.

For one hour in the morning the three other teachers who are teaching my class and myself are in the room with the students at the same time. During this hour, we split into ability groups to work on basic math skills using some fun math games. I sadly discovered that our students are lacking in some very important areas such as adding and subtracting time, ability to give change and how to calculate a percent. This certainly presents a challenge for me in my future lesson planning, as I push them forward to be able to pass their 8th grade math test I need to find creative ways to incorporate these basic math skill lessons also.

Speaking of lesson planning, I feel as though that is all I am doing nowadays. Because I am still new to the task, each lesson plan takes me a minimum of 3 hours to learn how to teach it, write a lesson plan, craft sample problems, homework, and an end of class assessment. This has lead to little sleep at night and a severe lack of communication to friends and family at home, for which I apologize. However, it is worth it as I see my students engage in the lesson, volunteer to write their answer the board to be analyzed by the class, and ask meaningful questions.

For the most part my class is relatively behaved. Granted, they are 8th graders so there will be a little squirelliness once in a while, which I have come to accept. We do have a few students who unofficially keep the class in check. After lunch the students have to walk in a straight and quiet line from the lunchroom back to the classroom. Before we can enter the class room one young lady in my class will stand and look at the line and wait for everybody to be straight and quiet. Once the line is acceptable to her she looks at me and says "We're ready." Meaning I should open the door and they are reading to begin class again. Surprisingly her critiques of them means more to my mostly male class than any instructions or warnings I give, so I let her police this part of the day. Additionally, once I give one student a warning he/she is always very eager to make sure that I am fair with my consequences and if they see something they think breaks the rules they say, "Ms. Koos, they should get a warning." It helps me out when my back is turned.

I am finding myself stating a lot of clique teacher phrases such as "Remember this is independent work. I want to see what you can do, not what your neighbor can do," or today when a female student was gently shoved by another student and I gave her a warning too, she complained that he shoved her and I told her "well, it wouldn't have happend if you weren't out of your seat." I had no idea how much you all were influencing me, but thank you to all of my Kaneland teachers, it is definitely working in my favor now.

Well I must get going if I am going to get any sleep tonight (I'm averaging between 4 and 5 hours a night). Let's see what the third day in the classroom will bring!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, lesson planning is very time consuming. Once you think about all the pieces that have to be carefully put together it does unfortunately end up taking that long. Good luck with your first few weeks!

    -Emily Moran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds intense! But it also sounds like you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete