Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm starting to feel like a teacher.

I arrived in Atlanta on Saturday with the caravan, stayed in a hotel and then headed over to Georgia Tech (where we will be training for the summer) on Sunday morning. This started my quick-speed "learn how to be a teacher" lesson. I have heard it compared to standing next to an open fire hydrant with your mouth open, there is no way you can take it all in. Thus far, I am doing okay, but we do have long days.

I have been assigned to work at Parks Middle School teaching 8th grade math to a class of 12 students who have to re-take the state test in order to make it to the 9th grade. I observed my class for the first time on Monday, which brought on the sudden realization that my work this summer will be affecting the rest of their lives. That's a lot of pressure for a first time teacher.

My days are filled with sessions. We have sessions on how to write lesson plans, how to interpret literacy differences in the classroom and incorporate literacy lessons into our math lessons, how to create assessments, and more. It has been a lot, but I am feeling more and more confident as I prepare to go into the classroom next week.

We are teaching in teams of 4 and are on a set schedule where we have 1 hour in the morning of homeroom, we call it Math/Lit Hour, where we can review topics and work with students on things they didn't understand the day before, go over homework etc. I am the third teacher to enter the classroom in a day and I will have 45 minutes to teach a lesson to my class. While it seems a little hectic, I am hopeful that my students are going to learn a lot this summer.

Don't forget to e-mail/message me! I would love to know more about what is going on back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment